Friday, January 7, 2011

resolutions

I'm not really in the habit of making resolutions for each January. Honestly, I feel like the start of the year should fall in September. Everything gets cleaned off and the month starts with a blank slate full of new beginnings. I feel far more ambitious and excited at that time, and it's always when I like to start projects and get stuff done. I find January so boring and predictable and uninspiring. Everything's covered in snow, grey and bleak after the sparkling holiday season. So I don't really have much get-up-and-go, and my top resolutions are usually just to get my chores back on schedule and stop eating cookies.

But with everything that's happened to us between December and now, I've realized that there are some issues I really need to work on this year. So here are the top five resolutions that have been on my mind since moving (that I probably won't address until September, let's be honest).

the filing cabinet of doom

1. Learn how to file. I always feel completely bombarded with cards and receipts and documents and manuals, and I just have no idea what to do with them. I end up stuffing everything in a somewhat appropriately titled folder in an already too stuffed, over-flowing, too small, inaccessible filing cabinet. It's the one thing that angers and frustrates me so much that when I go to work on sorting through all of it, I get too overwhelmed and give up. When we moved, we were presented with an attaché case filled to the brim with papers about this home (the same papers we've received about four times since the whole process began). And as I've used the dishwasher or the washing machine or opened a drawer, more and more manuals and warranties and even inspection papers have popped up. I've just been shuffling them around from room to room, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. I definitely need to get a proper filing cabinet (I'm going to check out this great Edmonton resource) so I can actually start filing and figuring out what should stay and what should go. I did a quick search on the subject and thought these two references were kinda handy: mastering your filing and filing for people who hate filing. Hello paper shredder, new best friend of 2011!

poor cats. they never saw it coming.

2. Finally purge myself of all of the things I don't love anymore. As I've been figuring out where to put stuff, I'm realizing there's a lot still hanging around that I only have because I feel obligated to keep it. I remember who gave it to me or it's just been in my life for so long I don't feel like I CAN get rid of it. My brain keeps telling me that maybe I'll want it later. Maybe I'll find a place for it later, and then I'll be sad it's gone. But how many years constitute later? The stuff I don't absolutely love is starting to feel more like a burden, and I'd rather have a whole empty shelf than fill it with stuff I think is just okay.

this frame's glass broke and I didn't want to 'waste' it by throwing it away.

3. Frame my own photography, frame the art I have now correctly, buy art from somewhere other than a thrift store, hang all of it properly. I'll admit it. I still have quite a few ratty, high schooly, improperly framed or not even framed at all pictures and posters. And some of it is just not fitting into my adult self anymore. There's such a large array of amazing resources available for finding and buying art now that there's really no excuse not to have interesting pieces I truly adore hanging on the walls. I also have groups of items (like plates, mirrors, and smaller art) I'd like to hang in better arrangements instead of poking a ton of holes in the walls until I get it right. I saw a great tutorial on Design*Sponge that can be applied to just about anything.


4. Learn how to do stuff better. By 'stuff' I mean big projects, like wall papering (first attempt: partial disaster), making curtains (I cannot measure worth a darn), or installing crown moulding (I love the look but I'm too scared to do it myself). I'm blessed with being able to figure out how to build it (conceptually) or I can find all the how-tos and information on it, but I get nervous about screwing it up since it's something I've never done before or something I've done horribly wrong before. I really just want to learn how to do it the right way the first time. I think I'll be dropping into Home Depot classes as much as I can this year (if the topic is in my favour) and I know of a little sewing shop where I can brush up on my sewing techniques.

check out my photography room

5. Take the time to read information and techniques on how to take a good picture and how to compose a good photo and actually take the time to fiddle with it and practice. Also, set up a spot to take all my pictures. As much as I've been enjoying shuffling all that junk around from table to table, it's (obviously) really starting to demotivate and uninspire. I need a damn shelf!

Are you making resolutions this year?

2 comments:

Lindsey @ Hot Polka Dot said...

I am so jealous of your photography room! Is it south facing?

GALaxy said...

I love how you're jealous of it when I was actually trying to show what a disaster it is and how it's not fit for photography right now (I fixed it right after I took the picture, though). It's actually north facing which I thought would be good because there wouldn't be as much harsh light caused from direct sun. I might set up a small area downstairs in a south facing window if I need it.